Sunday, March 29, 2009

Square Foot Gardening - Ever heard of it?

Have you ever heard of square foot gardening? Well, I got my fair share of it last Saturday. Tana took the boyz and I to a stake presentation. I guess this guy from Absorkee, MT is really into it. The main point to the whole gardening idea is using small spaces, that are condensed, where you save a ton of water and don't use as much space.

Well, it actually intrigued my mind and creativity in gardening. So after the presentation that lasted until noon, we went to Walmart and bought everything we needed to get our garden started from pete moss, vermitulite to compost and of course "steer manure" (like I don't have enought crap around the house). I put some 2X8 boards that are about 4 feet long and made a square. In other words, I'm ready for when the plants are ready to transplant from the little homemade cylinders we made.

So in about a week or two, we'll have some tomatos, beans, watermelon, onion, potato, parsley, broccolli, peas, squash, carrots, and a couple of other things that will be coming up. So we'll see what grows but I have a good feeling about this. One thing I really like is that there won't be any weeds in this garden of ours.

We planted our stuff and put it on top of the refridgerator. I'm sure it will be coming up within the next two weeks for sure. In fact, I'm told that it would be as fast as one week. Anyhow, I posted some things I learned at my other website. It'll be fun to see how the summer ends up because I think we just skipped summer as we just got hit with another winter storm warming for tonight and we're suppose to get 7 inches of snow tonight. I just hope it melts asap because I'm sick of Winter already. Take care.

2 comments:

mikeandnicolefam said...

Wow! Good for you! I love getting vegetables from my garden. I haven't tried square foot gardening yet, though. Good luck and keep us posted on how it turns out!!

Joni said...

there must be something in the air... or it runs in the family. Spence's big project these last few weekends has been getting a garden ready too. We've got seeds in our bedroom and dirt just waiting to receive them. He went a little overboard in my opinion, but then again it is Spence. :) Hope yours turns out well!