Wednesday, August 11, 2010

It's official......NO MORE DIAPERS!!!

So this last Monday I completely ran out of diapers and was NOT going to make a special trip to the store.  This has happened to me before but Anderson would cry and cry.  I even tried bribing him with all of his favorites only to hear that he didn't even want anything for his birthday only diapers.  What kind of kid is this?!?  It would always end in me going to the store and getting him more diapers.  I know I probably should have been stronger but I always say that I won't potty train until they are ready and wanting (cause I'm not ready till then anyway).  Anderson will be 4 yrs. old in Nov. and for the last 6 months has been saying things like "I want to be a baby forever" or I want to wear diapers forever" so it didn't seem that the end was even remotely close let alone in sight.  I started imagining sending him to kindergarten with diapers on and having to go to the school multiple times a day to change him.(like that would EVER happen) but I was starting to get a little desperate.  I have already potty trained two children and boys no less so I thought this was getting a little....no A LOT ridiculous.  So anyway, sorry I got off track there a little.  As I had said I was NOT going to make a special trip to the store so I told Anderson that he would just have to wear underwear with rubber pants.  I then gave him all of his options. He could 1. pee in them (I didn't care as long as it didn't get on my floor or couch or anything.) 2. pee in the toilet like a BIG BOY! 3. pee in the bathtub (it's better than nothin') OR 4. pee outside.  So of course we first tried to get him to go in the toilet or the potty chair but he was NOT having either of 'em.  For some reason he was deathly afraid.  I wasn't even making him sit on it but he was still not having it or even considering trying it.  However, the bathtub appealed to him and so we tried that.  He did not want me in there.....or even by the door.  He would holler at me to make sure that I wasn't close before he would even think of going.  But he DID IT.  He went and then called for me.  We cleaned him up and then I proceeded to PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE.  Something again he didn't like......at first that is.  He kept saying "STOP" or "don't talk to me".  Even if Gage tried to say good job. WEIRD, but whatever.  All he wanted was a calm good job you're awesome.  That was easy.  I can do that.  Little by little we have now moved to the toilet.....for peeing that is.  He still hadn't pooped!  Poor guy, by today his little tummy wasn't feeling to good.  He knew that he couldn't poop in his underwear, something that I think he didn't want either, and so he decided to go outside.....without telling me of course.  He just pulled 'em down and went right there on the ground.  Poor kid wasn't thinking things through all of the way when he then pulled them suckers back up over a poopy bum.  He got poop all over his underwear and pants.  I was NOT going to let THAT happen again.  He and I had a long long talk.  He really hasn't had that bad of a day, he's had accidents, but only a few.  Then tonight he came to me and said "I have to go potty."  So I went in and lifted up the seat and he looks at me and is like "that is NOT going to work" and then says "I have to go poop".  So I put the seat back down.  He told me to go out and not stand by the door and he would call me when he was done.  I did specify that he STAY on the toilet until I could come and clean him up but that was it.  He pulled his pants down got up on the toilet and HE POOPED all by himself!!!  He has now successfully gone both poop and pee on the big boy toilet.  Didn't even have to mess with the potty chair or anything.  LIFE IS GREAT!!!  Been a few bumps but has also been WAY easier than I was expecting.  So, 3 cheers for Anderson!  NO MORE DIAPERS!!!  YAY ME!!!

No comments: