Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Butchering Chickens!!!

Ok, so I had the best weekend. Jon thinks that I'm crazy, but my dream of living like "Little House on the Praire" is coming true. Saturday we spent the day butchering chickens. Jon and I were given about 16 chicks from the Langners, a couple in the ward. But there ended up being a lot of roosters, hence the butchering. I have always wanted to know how to butcher a chicken(you never know when that will come in handy). So this is how it went: Jon caught them and cut their heads off (we ended up killing 7 of them). Once the body had stopped jumping around Norma showed me how to defeather them. Then came the fun part of gutting them out. What a great science lesson! Soooo cool!!! I took three of them home and have since boiled up one, and put the other two in the freezer. They will be great Sunday dinners! Oh, and of course I had to take the gizzards and a couple of hearts home since I love gizzards and hearts. Throw them in salt and peppered flour and fry them up in butter........YUMMM!!!
Now for the next thing to check off my list. How to milk a goat.........or cow? I'm not picky.

No comments: